Monday, June 2, 2008

Spring Cleaning and Organizing for Summer

Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow we are spring cleaning around the Mattingly house. We have so far cleaned the windows, the barn, trying to still clean the pool -- no luck yet -- still green, power washed the house, and started with the inside general cleaning. Yesterday I made two loaves of bread but I tried a new recipe and it didn't work out so well. (I hate when that happens) So now I have have to start all over. I was successful with my yeast rolls though. I will try making several loaves of bread this evening and hopefully they will turn out.
I went to Meijer today because they had a 10 for 10 and 11th free sale (I love it when they do that!) However the totinos pizza rolls were sold out before I got there...ugh!!! But I did manage to get the kids a few bags of chips at 10 for 10, two bags of lettuce for dinner tonight and some canned oranges and pineapples.
Right now hubby is resting and I am getting ready to finish cleaning the cobwebs from the corners of the house. Then it is off the kids rooms to get them cleaned up. I am hoping one day that they will keep it that way. After that I am on to giving the dog a bath. Fun Fun!
If anyone has a good faithful bread recipe for white sandwich bread I would love to have it. I have tried two different ones now and both leave much to be desired.
Oh by the way hubby and I are off for a few days. I have to go back to work Thursday but hubby is off until next Monday. I am taking vacation days and he is laid off for the week.
It feels good to be home with the family for a few days. I am working on organizing the kid's homeschooling curriculum for the summer. I have organized four weeks worth for our oldest (age 9). She will have 5 to 10 vocabulary/spelling words each week. She will have to learn to spell these words and look up the definition in the dictionary. Some of them I have taken from the first book she will be reading, Where The Red Fern Grows.
Each week she will be assigned workbook pages out of her three summer workbooks. She will also have to cut out a newspaper article, read it and mark the 5 w's and write a card on it and staple it to the article for me to check. Also each week she will have an art project to complete (usually she and her younger sister will be working art together). She is to read a minimum of 10 pages everyday in one of her summer reading books. When she completes a book she has to do a book report and a collage poster on the book. Other projects she has this summer is to know and locate the states on a map, to pick one for a report, and to know the regions. She will also be completing an autobiography this summer and writing several short stories. We will also have Bible verse memorization as a family each week. There are several science projects that her and sissy will be working on together that they will have to report to us on. As you can see she will have a busy summer. I think it is important that the learning continue through the summer.
Well I guess I better get to work. The house isn't going to clean itself and the dog isn't going to give himself a bath so off I go.
Enjoy your day!

No comments: