Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day happenings

Today was Father's Day and just like every other holiday, we spent it running from one place to another. I fixed the family some quick and easy cinnamon rolls since time was of the essence. I had found grands biscuits on sale for 10 for 10 and the 11th free at Meijer several weeks ago and I was down to my last one so I popped open the can and flatten out each biscuit. I then topped each one with butter, lots of sugar and cinnamon. I then flip it on half to create a sort of crescent and squeeze the edges together to form a seam. I bake it as the package suggests. When it comes out of the oven I top it with a simple frosting of powdered sugar and milk. My family likes these cinnamon rolls and they are quick and easy for me.
I then started cooking Father's Day lunch and two loaves of bread to start the week. The plan today was to make lunch and take it to hubby's father who lives alone and eat lunch with him. I fixed a large meatloaf, and a big pot of green beans. I also fixed an apple crisp for dessert. We packed up these items along with stuff to make the mashed potatoes and mac n cheese there. It was a delightful meal. We all got our bellies full, cleaned up our mess and headed on to my father's house.
We spent about an hour visiting with him and then it was off to visit my mother's boyfriend. The children gave him a father's day card and some chocolate chip cookies. We again visited for about an hour, then we were on the road again. I had to get home and finalize the items needed for sunday school at 7.
We had every intention of visiting my grandfather but time fell short. So in the morning the girls and I will leave a little early and stop and visit papaw on the way to drop the youngest off at Nana's and oldest at the sitter...and me at work.
Church was good tonight and the children enjoyed making a couple of crafts for their dad. They made a banner and also a #1 dad certificate. Their lesson tonight was about Noah and obeying rules. Our pastor's wife had made a batch of sugar and chocolate chip cookies and boxed them up in small chinese take out boxes with a father's day tag on them and handed them out to all of the men in church. It has kind of become a tradition and I know the men like getting those home made cookies.
Well we made it home at about 9:30. Hubby and I were a little hungry so we ate a late snack of leftovers and the kids had a couple of nobakes. We all got ready for bed and I read the girls "Sidney and Norman... a tale of two pigs" by Phil Vischer. It is a darling story and a great read aloud for bedtime.
I was able to get some veggies at Sam's last night so I have sort of revamped the menu for this week and it is below. (Also my mom's boyfriend had a death in his family so I need to change Monday to a simple meal so we can head out to the funeral home)
Monday - Breakfast -- toast and jam, Lunch - leftovers, Dinner - salisbury steak (leftover from angel food from a previous month - I will cook up two of them), instant potatoes (with the price of potatoes...this has become cheaper for my family), and green beans (leftover from today)
Tuesday - Breakfast - scrambled eggs and toast, Lunch - leftovers, Dinner- hamburgers and hotdogs with french fries
Wednesday - Breakfast - baked oatmeal, Lunch - leftovers, Dinner - (since this is church night I need to keep it simple) hotdogs cooked in pork n beans, mac n cheese
Thursday - Breakfast - leftover oatmeal, Lunch leftovers, Dinner - Turkey and gravy, instant potatoes, baked beans (made from the leftover beans from the large can from last night)
Friday - Breakfast - scrambled eggs and toast, Lunch - sandwich - Dinner - Fish nuggets and fries
Saturday - Breakfast - sausage, eggs and biscuit, Lunch - chicken strips and fries, Dinner - pork tenderloin grilled, green beans, corn
Sunday - Breakfast - sausage and biscuit, Lunch/Dinner - garlic roasted chicken, leftover green beans, leftover corn.
So there is our dinner for this week. Yum!
Happy Father's day!

2 comments:

nana said...

Shell, as usual I am very proud of you and all the efforts that you put into your family ,home , and church. This was the first I've heard of you having a blog and so it took me some time to read through it all.It was a fun read! I also think it will be inspiring to many others as well! However I do have one question, how in the world do you make your own detergents? and maybe you could post them (your recipes) for others to see. maybe you could give the rec. for baby wipes too!I could go on but will save some thoughts and write again later.P.S. you could use my washer and dryer!!!! : ) Love, Nana

VictoriousMommy said...

I need to work on putting a recipe a day out there.
I am pleased to say that I called Arm and Hammer and ordered some washing soda. It should be in by this time next week. Once I make a new batch of detergent using that I will post my recipe for the laundry detergent.