Saturday, June 21, 2008

Organized Household

Ladies it is very important in todays hectic lifestyle that we have an organized household. Many of my blogger friends use home management binders. I don't have one of those...maybe one day but right now it just isn't necessary.

For me it is all about keeping it simple. My Nana gets mad at me sometimes because I sell perfectly good stuff in yard sales, give it to good will and even toss unwanted items in the trash. There have been times that people have given me items for Christmas and such and later it will be in my yard sale. It is not that I don't appreciate the fact that people gave me the gift. I just don't need it. I have enough items cluttering my house on my own without adding more items that I really don't need and keeping them just because someone gave them to me.

I go by the rule if it hasn't been used in the past 6 months then out it goes. And as far as nick naks unless it is something I really like and that is special to me.....out it goes. I used to collect stuff, save everything, etc. but not anymore. I realize that stuff is just stuff and it really is clutter. Everything gives off an energy and if you have a lot of stuff surrounding you then you can feel tired, out of sorts, like you are overwhelmed.

Well enough about my rantings about too much stuff. Back to being organized. Here are a few of the ways I stay organized...

Homeschool -- there is a basket in the living room by the piano that holds all of the homeschooling books and papers. There is another large basket on the other side of the piano that holds all of the kids games. When we want those items we pull them out and as soon as we are finished, they go right back.

Kitchen - I have two small pantry closets. One of them houses boxed goods, flour, sugar, etc. The other houses small appliances and large bowls that I don't want out on my counter. We took a board with silver hooks from Wal-Mart that was intended to be used as a coat hanger but we knew it would be perfect for a pot rack. So it is hanging on the wall and my good steel pots and pans are hanging on it and my others are in a large cabinet next to my stove. The rest of my kitchen cabinets hold dishes, cups, glasses, etc. On my counter in my kitchen you will find a tool turnabout next to the stove that holds all of my utensils that I use regularly (the rest are in a drawer in the kitchen). An americana lamp (I really like the glow of a lamp in the evening and find it very peaceful and homey). A rack which holds my plates and cups, a dish drain and two large bowls in a stand that hold my onions and garlic. You will also find a couple of cookbooks and the can opener and that is it. The rest of the itmes are tucked in cupboards and cabinets (and I have VERY VERY few cabinets so I you can tell I have very very little stuff).

Kids Bedrooms - There are two laundry baskets in the playroom and they hold toys. I tried to get the kids to put the kitchen toys in their kitchen and the doll stuff in the doll house, etc. After fighting and fighting about it I decided to just put the baskets in there and as long as the toys are in baskets....I don't care how they are organized. The youngest's clothes are in the playroom closet and a small dresser in there. The oldest's clothes are in her bedroom which also houses a bunkbed where they both sleep. In her room is the bookshelf and all their books are on there....this bookshelf sits on top of a chest of drawers so it isn't easily accesible to youngest who can sometimes be hard on books. In her room is also a very large desk. (Too big for her room but a special gift from grandmother so it stays). When she gets older she will appreciate the desk (and take it with her when she moves!). Oldest's games, cd's, etc. are in her desk. It is her responsibility to keep up with them. Not me.

Dining Room - I have a large closet where I keep everything that does't fit elsewhere and the large serving platters and dishes that I don't really use but The Princess Foundation uses them so I must keep them.

Bathroom - every person has their own drawer in the bathroom and all of us girls have a basket on the counter which houses all of our scrunchies. The towels and washrags are in the closet in the bathroom as well as any extra toiletries and toilet paper and paper towels.

Laundry Room - I keep my homemade detergent in a container right next to the washer, there is a trash bag handy hanging on the wall for trash that I may find in pockets, etc. We have a deep freezer in there for storing meat and extra flour. We also have shelves in there for decorations (which are all boxed by holiday), childrens clothes (which are all boxed by size) and other items that need to be stored. There is also three clothes lines hanging. One is for storing off season clothes and the other two are for hanging clothes to dry.

Family Room - Nothing is allowed to stay in this room that is not in one of the two drawers in the side tables. Enough said....this place can get messy enough with just blankets and pillows (which by the way are to be folded and placed at the end of the couch on the floor)

Rec Room - This is not a good topic for me right now as it is still gutted from the flood. But this is where all of The PRincess Foundation's stuff is and it is separated into three cabinets that we bought from Lowes. Down here also is the small pool table, football table and my desk and file cabinets.

Shoes are to be put immediately in the closet of the wearer. Coats are to be immediately hung on the coat tree in the winter...in the summer the coat tree is moved downstairs - it isn't needed and is a hindrence in the summer.

Purses are to be hung on hooks in the appropriate person's room. Wallets are to be put in the man's basket on the dresser.

Sunday school stuff is kept in same basket as homeschool and this is also where all Bibles are kept.

Kitchen cleaners are kept below the kitchen sink, bathroom cleaners are kept below the bathroom sink, etc.

Sheets - when they get off the line from drying, take all the pieces and put it in one of the pillow cases then store it in a drawer....then they are all together.

Bathtowels - each person has a clothespin with their name on it. When they get a towel out of the closet and use it they hang it up and put their clothespin on it. They are to use that towel for at least three days....after all they are clean when they use it. There is no sense wasting money washing towels that are not dirty. While they are using their towel they just put the clothespin on the shower curtain until the towel is hung back up.

Dirty Laundry - there is a main laundry basket in our bedroom that is for me and hubby and sheets, towels. There is a small one in the kid's room. Everyone is responsible for putting their own laundry in the baskets. ***another thing....most pants can be worn twice before washing....don't wash the item if it isn't dirty!

Menu - Each week the menu is placed on the fridge door. No more "what's for dinner?"

Calendar - There is a calendar which hangs in the kitchen and on it we put all activities for the month. If someone wants to know what we are doing tomorrow....they look at the calendar. If someone doesn't put their activity on the calendar....well then there is a possibility it doesn't get done. Schedule conflicts -- when usually the first activity on the calendar trumps the ones after it. But depending on the necessity of the activity one placed before may get moved....our calendar is VERY IMPORTANT!

Camping -- well that is too much for me to list here. I promise in the next few days I will do a blog just about camping and how we organize ourselves.

There is a place for everything. Find its place (put it where you would most likely be using it) and stick to it.

2 comments:

Schotzy said...

I am so impressed with your organization! I love the clthespin/ towel rule! Great ideas!

Sherri Kaye said...

Another idea that works for organization in the bathroom is keeping a basket or small platic tub in the cabinet underneath your sink containing your toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, and any other things you use everyday. You can pull it out when you are ready to use the items inside and then when you are done, you can put it back in the cabinet. This eliminates clutter on your sink. If you don't have a cabinet under your sink, you can put this box or basket in a linen closet as well. I have one for my toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant and perfume; one with my makeup and face creams; and one with my hairbrush, hairspray and hair dryer. That way I can just pull out which box I need at the time to keep from cluttering up my sink. Oh and by the way Sis, you will be proud of me with my organized kitchen and decluttered countertops.