Sunday, September 14, 2008

Christ Centered - Family Focused

Well we have implemented our new Mattingly Mission... "Christ Centered - Family Focused". We started yesterday. It is working well so far. I have started our binder but haven't finished it yet. I promise pix when I am done. But any way the kids and hubby seem to be embracing the whole system fairly well.
Even five year old is pulling her weight. They seem to realize that mommy cannot do it all. :-) Maybe it takes a illness like what I have been through to get them to realize this. I still wish so much that I could be home full time with my children. Oh how I would love to be a homeschooling stay at home mom. I feel like I could be such a blessing to my husband in this way and I feel that my health would improve as well. But I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Until then I feel that I am doing the best I can with what I have been given.
We finished the craft center this weekend YAHOO. The kids go to a private school that used the PACE curriculumn. Unfortunately they do not have an art class. But that's okay we are studying art at home. This weekend we went to Michaels and purchased enough to get us started. We bought finger paint and paper, tempera paints and paper, oil pastels and paper, sand, funnels, sand art necklaces, modeling clay, markers, construction paper, foam, fabric, ribbons, and several odds and ends. Today the kids worked on an oil pastel drawing for their father for his birthday.
I made more homemade detergent today, a bottle of kitchen cleaner (vinegar, liquid soap, warm water), a bottle of bathroom cleaner (the same mixture just kept in the bathroom), a bottle of shower spray (alcohol and water - to be used each time you get out of the shower), a bottle of detangle spray (a small amount of conditioner and water in a spray bottle)....each bottle is a different color and is clearly marked not just with letters but pictures as well for the five year old.
After this container of powdered laundry detergent is used up I am going to move to homemade liquid laundry detergent. I think it will work out better for my family now that the oldest is in charge of the laundry.
We will be getting all of our October/Halloween decorations out soon. We love to decorate for halloween....I know many of you are probably going to comment back that you can't believe I go all out for halloween but I do. I really enjoy the season and I like the pumpkins and fun that go along with it. We like the whole halloween thing and have a lot of fun with it. WE don't do the whole scary thing but we decorate and camp and trick or treat at the camp grounds. It's fun and we enjoy it.
Well I had better sign off for now it is getting late and I am wanting to get up early in the morning.

1 comment:

tamlovesran said...

Since becoming a Christian I haven't really known what to do with Halloween. For years our church had a Fall Festival that was a Halloween alternative with Christian concerts, food, and activities. Now it is an outreach and just seems to be Halloween on church property with us Christians working instead of celebrating with our own family.

Last year I read a Catholic blog where the mother dicussed that Halloween is really the vigil of All Saints Day and provides us, as Christians, the opportunity to poke fun at the fear of death. Then they celebrate All Saints Day with the theme O Death, where is thy victory? O Grave, where is thy sting?"

Some people have Reformation Day parties instead of Halloween or Harvest Parties.

I think the day is whatever you make it, but in my mind candy and costumes on October 31 is still Halloween no matter what you call it or where you celebrate it so I guess we should all just relax and have fun.