Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Mid Week Madness and Squash Casserole

It was a crazy day at work today and I was super tired when I got home. But it is Wednesday and it is prayer meeting day. The last Wednesday of every month we have dinner at church. As soon as I came home from work I started cutting up and boiling squash for squash casserole. I also cut up cucumbers, onions and tomatoes for a cucumber salad.
Here is my recipe for the squash casserole.
Cut up several squash (about 6 or 7 good size) and boil in water until almost tender. Cut up a small onion, drain the squash and put it in a 9 x 13 pan. Add the diced onion and a large can of cream of mushroom soup. Add quite a bit of salt and pepper and top it with a cup of shredded cheddar cheese and then a sleeve of crumbled saltine crackers. (I also add some garlic powder to the casserole to give a little extra kick). Bake in a 350 degree oven until bubbly. Yummy -- -it is always a hit at potlucks.
We took our mamaw with us to church tonight. She has Alzheimers and sometimes does not like to get out of the house but she had a great time! We go to an old fashioned country church. There is nothing special or fancy about us but we sure do love people and it shows. She was very happy and said she wanted to come back again.
The girls are getting ready for bed and the dog is sitting at my feet. Hubby just kissed me goodnight so I guess it is time for me to log off here. Have a great day gang!

2 comments:

tamlovesran said...

What a pleasant evening! We love squash casserole too. I make mine about the same except I use Pepperidge Farms bread crumbs instead of the saltines.

VictoriousMommy said...

That sounds just yummy!~ We use that in our chicken casserole and we love it.