Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Mama's Apron


Do you have an apron? Don't you just love it "meeces to pieces"? I can be tired and feel so underqualified until I pick up my apron from the hook in my kitchen and tie it around my waist. Once it is on I am transformed into "super mom"....I can then leap the tallest bread pan in a single bound, climb the highest meringue, and soar the largest layer cake. With my apron around my waist I feel the kindred spirit of all those mama's that came and went before me guiding me on through the daily care of my home, husband and children.
If you don't have an apron, I encourage you right now....this very minute to go and get one! And don't just hang it up for looks either! It is for wearing and wearing every day! And heavens to Betsy don't get one of those silly little frivolous aprons...why those lacy little uncomfortable things....they aren't aprons, I'm not quite sure what hey are...but they are not aprons. Get you a good old fashioned comfortable apron. Now it can be pretty...nothing wrong with pretty. Pretty is as pretty does but make it practical too. I mean it has got to be comfortable enough to wipe the occasional tear from your children's face when they fall...and the occassional tear from your face throughout the day...I mean we are women after all and the tears do fall. They have to be sturdy enough to handle wash after wash after wash. They have to be comfortable because you will wear them from the beginning of your work day until the end....not just in the kitchen. Once you get used to your apron you will find that you depend on it throughout the day. And be sure to get one with pockets. I find that I use my apron pockets for a great many things. There are times they hold nails, thumbtacks, clothespins, and more. You may prefer a waist apron but not me, I am a full apron wearer myself. My favorite is a blue and white pin stripe apron. It has served me well for years and it is very comfortable.
So come on gals.....join the apron army. You will be glad you did.
Oh and what about us working moms? Well when I get in from the office the first thing I do once I shed my work shoes is grab my apron from the hook in the kitchen. I may be forced to work outside of my home during the day but once 5:15 hits and I walk through that back door into my kitchen....I am all mama and all home. We can be both. We all want to be and would love to be stay at home mamas but don't beat yourselves up if you can't. I can't either gals. So we just have to pick ourselves up by our bootstraps and work with the lot that has been given to us. That just means that we have to work that much harder. And God will reward our hard work! Take pride in knowing that you can do both....help your hubby by bringing financial assistance to the home and don that apron when you get home and lovingly care for your home just like the stay at homes do. You too can do it! Don't let anyone tell you any different. Working moms are just the same....in fact they just have to work that much harder at home- add in all the days chores at home....plus 8 hours of work outside of home....whew.....well at least there are no "idle hands" there!
So grab that apron girls and get to homemaking!




3 comments:

Sherri Kaye said...

I really enjoyed this post. You have inspired me. I am going out to buy me an apron! I always get in the baking mood this time of year anyway.

Thank you again for taking our pictures Sunday. I am so very pleased.

I hope you are feeling well.

By the way, I am loving the pictures that you have been using for your blog entries. I like the Old Fashion look to them.

Love you bunches!

nana said...

Wow , I didnt know you had and used one! Mine has served me very well thru the years. Have a few but my favorite is one given to me by an old timer I used to care for.Hate using it too much but wear it so proudly when I do!To know she to wore it proudly makes me feel very special. I'll show it to you sometime. Nothing fancy , and only a waist tie, I truly adore it. : )

nana said...

As a matter of fact ,all 3 of your girls have had there time to wear it but as a bib tied around them.

Things that make you go Hhmmmmm : )