Thursday, November 13, 2008

It's almost Christmas!


It's almost here! I love Christmas just "meeces to pieces"! Christmas is the birth of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Other than Easter...honey it don't get no better than that. And I really thing that this year Christmas is going to be much, much better. You see I think that Christmas is going to be about Christmas. Since people don't have the money that they have had in the past to be so flighty with their spedning ....I feel that this year gifts will come from the heart. People will focus more on Jesus and less on the commericalism of Christmas. Like the picture on my post shows the little girl surrounded by gifts....oh how we think that is the way Christmas should be. But in the "good ole days" children were lucky to get one toy. They usually got an orange, a few nuts and a few candy sticks in their stocking. They might get a handmade toy from dad or some handmade dresses for their doll from mom.
Mom would spend several days making special cakes and pies...these were considered part of Christmas for the family. The children looked forward to these delicious desserts....as they didn't get them during the rest of the year...except for maybe one or two pies for Thanksgiving.
I have finished decorating the house for Christmas. We wanted to get it done before I am admitted to the hospital this coming Monday. Hubby got all of the outside decorations up and this past Monday I finished getting all of my indoor decorations ready. Monday night the kids, hubby and I put up the Christmas tree. I know it seems early but with everything we have going on it will allow us to be able to enjoy the remaining days of November and December together without stress of having to do anything as far as decorating and such.
And believe it or not girls....I have all of my presents wrapped too! I am still waiting for the guys presents to come in from LTD....the items are on back order...ughhh. I hope they come in with time to spare.
I am working on several handmade gifts for the ladies of the family that will take a lot of time but I am taking them with me on my hospital trip next week so I will have plenty of time to work on them there. If all works out I will at least have my wits about me enough to work a few hours a day on the projects. I have one complete and I have four more to go.....phew.
The children's gifts are done...finished....complete. Hubby and I are not getting each other gifts this year so that is easy. We will fill each other's stockings as santa's helpers but that will only cost a few dollars so no big deal there.
So this year I see people turning to an old fashioned Christmas. And I welcome it with open arms. Homemade candies, cookies, cakes and gifts will be handed out instead of yet more store bought items that no one needs or really wants.
Thank you Lord for hard times that bring us closer together and when we have no where else to go we find ourselves on our knees and there we meet you.

No comments: